Thursday, March 22, 2012

It is early spring...

and Kelby and I began planting our garden. (Okay, mostly Kelby began planting; I only helped a bit.) We scooped dirt out at the right depth, gently placed a seed in the ground, and covered it with soil. We were careful not to plant the seeds too close together, for we wanted to give each plant room to grow. Crowding seeds means small, immature plants. And these plants are meant for sustenance; we want them to grow well in order to feed our bodies, to make us healthy and strong.


James writes: "Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls" (James 1:21).


It is early spring, and God is tending my soul garden. He has gently placed the seeds - His word - at the right depths and the right distance apart. Sometimes, let's be honest, most all the time, I fill up that empty space. But God meant it to be just that - space - room for His word to grow. My filling makes my soul garden overcrowded. Crowding seeds means small, immature plants. Crowding things means a small, immature me. And God meant these plants for sustenance; He desires (and so do I!) them to grow well in order to feed my soul, to make me healthy and strong.


Humbly, I wonder, is Hulu the only thing I've crowded into the garden of my soul that God so carefully planned? I don't think so. What else, Lord? What else do I need to put aside in order for Your word to grow, full and mature, in my soul garden?


It is early spring.

0 comments:

Post a Comment